Sunday, February 05, 2006

Skiing Fool--and I mean that in a good way.

I’ve done a little cross country skiing in my days up in the Adirondacks but I prefer my snowshoes because they can take me damn near anywhere in the woods while the skis need more of a trail. But this report of a Norwegian traversing Antarctica just blows my mind.
Norwegian adventurer Rune Gjeldnes completed a 93-day solo, unsupported trek across Antarctica on Friday, laying claim to two polar skiing records.

The 4,804-kilometre trek makes the 34-year-old Gjeldnes the first person to cross both the Arctic and the Antarctic with no outside help, and qualifies as the world's longest ski trip, his team said….

The former Royal Norwegian Navy commando's previous records include skiing unsupported over the polar ice cap from Russia to Canada with a teammate in 2000 and skiing the length of Greenland in 1996.

He set off from Queen Mauds Land on the edge of the Antarctic on Nov. 4, reached the South Pole on Dec. 20 and continued on to Victoria Land on the opposite side of the ice continent.

If Rune says he’s going out for a little trek, it might be a good idea to ask just when he expects to get back. Be sure to get the month and day.

Of course, he didn't have to worry about trees or hobble bush catching his ski tips.

No comments: