Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Working On My Own: Basment Work

I’m taking my time with the basement. Kinda feeling my way through the immediate portions like wiring the outlets and erecting partition walls. I’ve got the wainscoting up along the east and west walls and have run the wire to the outlets I’ve put there. It’s nice having the insulating foam walls to work with. Every 8 inches there's a plastic “stud” in the foam to which I can attach my furring strips and, later, my sheetrock.

Three horizontal furring strips were screwed to the plastic “studs” and electrical wire was run between the middle and top strip to attach the boxes which were carved out of the foam. Where the wire will run behind sheetrock, I used metal conduit to protect the wire from stray screws or picture hanging nails in the future. I attached the wainscoting, which is made of three foot long eight inch wide pieces of tongue and groove left over from the log cabin kit where it was used for the ceiling, to the furring strips using 1 1/4 brads and my pneumatic nailer.

Basement wainscoating; west wall
Here’s a portion of the west wall showing the wainscoting and a little bit of the conduit.
Wainscoating on east wall...
Here’s the east wall with another piece of conduit going from the wainscoting to the ceiling...about 5 1/2 feet.

Next I’ll be moving on to erecting the partioning wall that will separate my workshop from the family room area.

No comments: