Monday, August 10, 2009

Aerie Report, August 10, 2009

Lorraine and Nancy left around 8:30 AM today (just slightly after I headed out for Cabela's. They planned to head over to Ashley, PA before turning southward and back to their home in SOuth Carolina. It figures that they should choose to leave just as some of the hottest weather of the sumer arrives. At least they got to enjoy several days where the high temps were only around 75 and the lows were in the low 50s. Today's high was 87 degrees (better than the 95 the truck recorded down at Cabela's!) There are some heavy storms to the south of here stretching from Williamsport down to Harrisburg and they are drifting eastward--right over Cabela's in Hamburg. Here, in Tioga County, we are enjoying a reprieve from the heaviest rains while experiencing the drop in temperature that usually accompanies a squall line.

******

Seven hours round trip from the Aerie to Cabela's in Hamburg, PA today, two hours for lunch and shopping with my buddy (and squash pusher) Joe. Neither of us found everything we wanted, either. It should be a crime when you travel as far as we did (Joe had a four hour round rip from eastern NJ) and find out that the store doesn't have what you want and its shelves where what you want is supposed to be are literally bare. Joe was looking for primers to do some reloading. I wanted a copy of the Deloreme maps for PA to put in the Jeep. Nada. Zero, Zilch. At the cash register we were handed that age old fishing line we've heard time and again: "You should have been here yesterday!" Seems this weekend was a big promo thingy and everyone--and I mean EVERYONE--was there to stock up. Hell, we tried to boost the economy! Oh well, we'll just have to go back again when they restock.

I did get myself a nice Nikon ProStaff 550 Laser Rangefinder and some additional Magnus Snuffer broadheads. (The new bow and/or pistol will have to wait until 1) I feel more comfortable with the sizable cash outlay 2) I can figure out how to sneak it in the house past Terry.)

******

When I got back from Cabela's, Terry and I had a quick dinner and headed over to the Tioga County Fair. She entered four pieces of needlework--one stump work, one black work, one sampler, and one smocked infant dress--into the fair this year and, since I'm heading up to the Bolt Hole tomorrow, I wanted to see how she fared.

She got three first place ribbons and one second. She does say, however, that there were not that many entrants. Still, the judges seemed impressed.

******

As I said, I'll be hooking up the utility trailer in the morning and heading up to the Bolt Hole for a couple of days. The grass needs cutting and there are other chores that need to be around the cabin and out buildings. I plan on being up there for five or six days. Then I'll haul the ATV down to the Aerie and start moving some of the firewood I've cut out of the woods. Weather permitting, (and if my back doesn't go on strike against me) I've got some pretty busy days ahead of me.

2 comments:

threecollie said...

Alan wants to take me down to Cabela's as a sort of belated senior trip for himself...it looks like such an amazing place.

Shelley said...

Congrats to your wife for winning prizes for her needlework! The hubby has been itching to go to Cabelas - maybe I should tell him to call ahead to make sure they have the stuff he needs.