Sunday, August 09, 2009

Rainy Sunday at the Aerie

After a week of glorious weather, some rain finally arrived on the scene last night and continues through this morning. The early morning temperature, after being near 50 degrees since last Tuesday, ramped up to a damp 65 degrees this morning. The forecasters also say it will get up to the mid-80s this afternoon in contrast to the highs in the low to mid 70s we have been enjoying. Hey, it is early August, right. Dog Days of summer and all that.

The gals thoroughly enjoyed their time in Corning Friday. They spent a lot of time at the Glass Museum and took in all the exhibits before going downtown for a bit. They ended up at the Wegmans grocery store and had lunch at the cafeteria there. (What is it about some women that they have to take a tour of grocery stores of all things?) I'm not complaining, they brought home a couple of unusual brews from the huge selection of beers Wegmans carries. Lorraine recognized some of the brands as English microbrews having spent two years in England. Pretty tasty.

The Carolinians went out on their own on Saturday and roamed about the local area just a bit while Terry took one of her needlework pieces over to enter it in the Tioga County Fair. The Fair runs next Monday through Saturday.

Me? Friday I was in the woods for four hours with the chainsaw, Saturday I cut the grass knowing rain was on the way and then spent another three hours in the woods cutting up the downed tree tops. I would have worked longer but after stopping the chainsaw to move some of the cut debris, I couldn't get it started again. *sigh*

The ladies all went off to church this morning as per Terry's usual routine. When they return, we'll probably read the papers before going out to dinner.

The bad thing about having company is that Terry feels obliged to cook even more: planked salmon, London broil, spinacoffeta (the Greek spinach and cheese dish for which spelling optional).... Not to mention the Moon Pies and beer the ladies have plied me with. Good thing I've been working off the calories in the woods.

Oh, and the blackberries are ripening on the hill so there's a steady supply in the fridge for ice cream and cereal toppings.

Lorraine and Nancy will be leaving on Monday morning but will take the long way home to South Carolina. Nancy grew up in and Lorraine was born in Ashley, PA so they will swing east of here to go see their old stomping grounds before heading back towards Harrisburg and I-81.

I've a date tomorrow with Terry's cousin Joe, my fishing and hunting buddy as well as zucchini pusher, down at the Cabela's in Hamburg set for Monday at 11 AM. Not sure what I'm shopping for but I'll know it when I see it. I KNOW I'll be coming home with some zucchini I just hope the Tundra is big enough for the amount Joe will be bringing. ;-)

1 comment:

JihadGene said...

Every time I check on you it's raining. You better get out here to California.