Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Iowa 24, Georgia Tech 14

In the Orange Bowl.

I only watched the first half of this game as I had to get up early this morning to get the truck taken care of, but from the outset you could see that Iowa had come to play--no, make that "come to win."

Truthfully, I thought the Yellow Jackets were going to run away with this game. I thought their ground game would find multiple ways through or around the Hawkeye line. Boy was I wrong. The long break at the end of the regular season allowed the Iowa coaches to come up with and implement an excellent defensive scheme that shut down the Tech runners.

I had also forgotten that Rick Stanzi would be back at QB for Iowa. Those two quick touchdown passes in the first quarter had to have had a psychological affect on the Yellow Jackets. Certainly it caused them to play under much pressure.

The scary thing for the rest of the Big 10 has got to be that most of the Iowa squad will be back next year. Ohio State and Penn State better not be looking over their shoulders, 'cause Iowa won't be there. They'll be up front!

No comments: