Thursday, December 11, 2014

We got snow!

Not when it was forecast to occur, but it arrived.

Surprise!

The forecasters had been predicting 8 to 10 inches of snow fro Tuesday. That didn't happen. Wednesday we saw just a few flurries amounting to less than half an inch. Then Wednesday night we were surprised with 6 to 8 inches of powder. It stopped falling around 8:30 and I was outside clearing the driveway a little after 9 AM.

 Vehicles and driveway were covered with 6-8 inches of snow.

 The tray feeder was covered, too.

The deck was covered also.

Terry cleaned off the deck while I tried to figure out if I wanted to use the tractor or the snow thrower. If it had been a inch or two deeper the tractor would have been the only option. I finally figured I could use the exercise so I fired up the snow thrower and took a long, slow walk back and forth, back and forth. It certainly wasn't an aerobic/cardio workout, but it was a workout just the same. Being light, powdery snow meant I could throw it onto an area I would later have to clear and the blower would handle it. (Something it wouldn't do if this had been a we snow.)

I got almost all of the drive cleared when Terry came out to clear off the Jeep and go down for the mail. While she was gone, I cleared the area where the Jeep parks then moved the truck and cleared that area witht he snow thrower. Then it was time for lunch. Terry made a great mac and cheese with ham and peas that warmed and satisfied.

After lunch, we both went back out with shovels to clear the snow that remained. To keep from throwing stones as well as snow, I had the runners set to their maximum height. That left 3/4 to 1 inch of snow on the driveway. To keep it from becoming even icier, that snow had to go. Together, it took us about an hour to clear the parking area and driveway.

While the temperature never got above 24 degrees, it wasn't bad working outside as there we had no wind.

1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

Better late than never, I suppose. Now ... if only we could get that snow, here. Freezing fog today, dang it.