Friday, April 22, 2005

The Navigator

My wife of 32+ years thought it was kind of cute that I designated her as The Navigator for the purpose of this blog. I thought it was truthful. When we go on road trips, she is the one in the passenger seat with the maps in hand. I may have spent hours pouring over the itinerary, but the fine details of where to turn and when are in her hands once we hit the road, I'm too busy watching out for the other guy and trying to keep us on the road. Besides, I make a lousy passenger. I like to say that driving is a control thing and I hate to give up control, but the truth is The Navigator controls the driver. Then again, she has been telling me where to go for 32+ years ;-)

Occasionally (make that more and more frequently) The Navigator goes off on her own. It used to be for business but now it's for one or another of her sewing groups. Since retiring last fall she has already been to Atlanta, Minneapolis and New Orleans. She would have traveled more but a recent gathering took place right in our backyard so she commuted from home. Sunday she heads out to Cape May, NJ for classes and socializing for a week on the Jersey Shore.

While she is out gallivanting around with needle in hand, I will be at home (most of the time) doing yard work, graphing out floor plans for our future home and waiting for my new backyard lawn to appear. Today is day 8 after putting down the seed so it should start germinating any time now. At least there is no sign of the thick carpet of moss that was in the backyard. I might make the trip out to Cabela's in PA or out to the PA property to do some cleanup there--or not. It depends upon the weather. And how the Mets are doing. And how lazy I feel.

No comments: