Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Red-shouldered Hawk at the Bolt Hole

So, as I mentioned yesterday, there was a hawk upon the electric wires outside the Bolt Hole in the morning and it seemed quite tame. At least it allowed me to go inside and get my camera and then come back and snap some pictures of it. It stayed in one place merely looking at me as I approached closer and closer. It wasn’t until I was nearly beneath it that it flew off.
Red-shouldered Hawk

Terry and I were looking at these pictures and comparing the photos in Sibley’s and we agree that it appears to be a Red-shouldered Hawk.

Red-shouldered Hawk


The place where it was perched is directly over a dirt road that has tall grasses/weeds on the south side and thick trees (apple, fir, pine) and brush (honey suckle, rugosa rose) on the north. Immediately on the other side of the trees and brush is the lawn. There are plenty of small critters, snakes and birds for this larger predator to eat.

Red-shouldered Hawk



1 comment:

Richard said...

Great hawk pictures. Camera works nicely. As for ID, I'll take your word for it. Raptors are another of my downfalls. Was told by a raptor expert to always try for a back and flight shot which makes ID much easier. Most times I'm just happy to get any shot.