Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Aerie Report, April 21, 2010

A beautiful day in the north country and down home at the Aerie. Morning temps at the Bolt Hole were in the low 30s although it did reach down to 25 overnight. It was slightly warmer at the Aerie and the afternoon high was 63 degrees under a mostly sunny sky.

The winds at the Aerie were confusing this afternoon and I watched the windmills--which were barely moving at all--swing from the northwest to the west and then the south as a small wave of sun showers swept through.

The shower only lasted 15 or 20 minutes but it was quite hard. Since it was late int he afternoon, the sun was able to shine beneath the cloud that was producing the rain at the Aerie and over the clouds that produced showers to the north. Very weird.

******

It was such a nice morning that I decided to eschew my regular path home and follow Route 12B out of Utica down through Hamilton until it met up with Route 12. From there it was on to I-81 to Binghamton and then Route 17 west to Waverly/Sayre and Route 220 into PA and on to Route 6 west and home. Route 12B was a new stretch of road and quite a lovely ride through some nice farm country and small villages.

The route I followed turned out to be about 10 miles shorter than the ones I usually take but the slower speeds meant longer time, but only about 20 minutes. On the plus side, those slower speeds also meant better MPG according to the on-board computer--just a touch over 19 MPG versus the 18 or so I get if I follow the NYS Thruway to the Route 14 exit and down along the western shore of Lake Seneca to Watkins Glen. Of course, I also saved about $6 in tolls.

******

Back at the Aerie, I spotted the first Wild Turkey from the deck. We've heard them on several mornings but this was the first of the year. Just one, sneaking through the woods after I stepped out on the deck, but it was proof positive that they are out there. The spring turkey season starts on May 1st.

2 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

The turkeys make noise, now, to taunt you: "This is what you WON'T see or hear on the 1st!"

Sorry - just projecting my own deer season follies.

joated said...

Oh, I'm fully aware of that, Rev.! last year we had five (5!) Toms comming out on the lawn day after day...right up to the day before the season. After that: NADA!

(My neighbor did say he and his cousin heard nine birds just up the hill on opening day and finally got one to come close enough to shoot just before noon.)