Saturday, April 10, 2010

On the road again....

Off on a quick trip to the Bolt Hole tomorrow. This cold weather has me worried that the unheated cabin might get too cold for the water I left in the pipes. So...It'll be 225 miles up, drain the pipes, and 225 miles back home. What fun!

I'd rather not go since I'll have to do it again in a couple days once they get the part to fix the AC on the trailer, but, I'd like to keep the plumbing intact, thank you!

Just as we were getting out of the cars to start our bird walk this morning I got a call from Mark telling me it was a mere 24 degrees at the Bolt Hole this morning. He wanted to know if he should start a fire in the cabin before he left today. Hell yeah! I should have told him to drain the pipes too, but that might have taken longer to explain where all the low valves were than it was worth.

I would have left to go up this afternoon and slept over, but all that fresh air and sunshine this morning at Hills Creek SP had me feeling a bit sleepy as it was. With Mark's fire and the abundant afternoon sunshine (and the lack of leaves on the trees) the cabin should have been able to store enough heat to make it through the night. It's the next four nights of lows in the 20s and days when the highs will only be in the 40s and 50s that worry me.

So, I'll b setting the alarm for 4 AM and hope to be out and on my way by 4:30. I'll be taking the Jeep this time since A) it was gassed up and nearly full and B) it gets better mpgs than the Tundra and C) I'll not be hauling anything either way.

No comments: