Sunday, April 11, 2010

There and back again.

Well, I'm back. Driving the Jeep Compass is a real joy. Five-speed manual on that six-cylinder engine and the darn thing just flies!

I did manage to leave the Aerie at 4:30 AM as planned but then had to return because I left the cabin keys in the Tundra...DOH!

My SECOND departure took place at 5 AM and I arrived at the Bolt Hole at 8:30 AM with one pit stop on the NYSThruway.

Mark was still at his cabin. I flipped him the bird because it was 45 freakin' degrees at 8:30! I gave him what-for for putting the fear of frozen pipes into my head, but he said it was truly 24 degrees yesterday morning. The recording digital thermometer in the Bolt Hole's kitchen says it did get down to 29 degrees outside sometime since I was there last but not 24. It also says that the lowest it got inside during my absence was 39 degrees.

Really, I do not know why I put any credence in the forecasts from either weather.com or AccuHunch. Both said it was supposed to be closer to 25 degrees than 50.

I spent 15 minutes talking with Mark. It took me all of 15 minutes to drain the pipes and pour some antifreeze into the traps...just in case the weathermen manage to pull one out of their butts and it does get below freezing during the next week.

Add another 15 minutes to walk around the exterior of the cabin, barn and garage to check things out, and another 15 to fill the gas tank (10+ gallons at $3 per) and pick up a buttered hard roll for brunch, plus the pit stop on the way up, and I had, perhaps, an hour and a quarter non-driving time on a 9 1/4 hour trip that covered 475 miles.

Terry thinks I need a pilot's license. I told her it would be revoked for flying too low.

Anyhow. I now have some peace of mind. Better safe than sorry. Yada, yada, yada...

1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

I understand your frustration, but at least now you can have peace of mind.

I'll trade you fill-up prices ... I put 22.7 gallons in my Expedition on Friday, at the 10-cents-off price of $3.27/per. Prices in Anchorage range from $3.33 (at one spot) to $3.39, with the average around $3.37. If the gloom-and-doomers are correct, we'll be paying $4/gallon in no time.