Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Road Trip 2010: Day 63: Fruitland, ID to Brigham City, UT

Tuesday Terry and I drove southeast some more covering the distance from Fruitland, ID to Brigham City, UT.

The road (I-84) was good and, except for a few extended stretches of construction and long, long uphill climbs, provided an easy ride. The construction zone near Boise, ID provided the only serious damage to the Tundra so far. I had survived the gravel roads and frost heaved highways of the Yukon and Alaska only to have a stone kicked up into my windshield at 60 mph. A solid PING! and a dime-sized circle appeared on the passenger side midway up from the bottom and only about an inch from the edge. A tiny bit more to the side and it would have hit metal instead of glass. I can feel nothing on either the inside or outside of the windshield, however, so maybe, as Terry says, it’s just a bruise and nothing further will happen. Me? I think that the first time we have a 10 degree day, that sucker will sprout wings and I’ll have a crack from side to side.

The scenery along the way on Tuesday but once again, there were few places to simply pull over and enjoy. Rest areas were few and far between let alone simple pull outs. Maybe I’ve grown spoiled by the many, many pull outs with garbage bins and even latrines that were available all along the highways in British Columbia, Yukon and Alaska. Sure, many of those pull outs offered nothing but a place to get out and stretch your legs since the “view” had long been obscured by trees or was half a mile around the bend, but they were there.

Terry shot this out the window as I drove using my camera after a quick lesson on the fly.

Somewhere in SE Idaho once we had left the Snake River.


We pulled into the KOA in Brigham City around 2 in the afternoon and were soon in the pool for a nice refreshing dip. The air temperature was easily in the mid to upper 80s and no breeze blew, but it was a dry heat, as they say. The pool felt good and we did the laundry at the same time so it was a productive afternoon. The wi-fi stunk as far as I was concerned. Terry was able to get on—intermittently—to check email, but try as I might I couldn't get connected. Even using the hard connection in the office, I was left hanging with a local only connection and no internet access.

Well, I wanted to hit the sack early anyway.

1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

I'm amazed to hear that you managed to leave Alaska & the Yukon without rock damage ... you're a fortunate guy!