Sunday, September 12, 2010

Aerie Report, September 12, 2010

It dawned overcast, gray, and drizzly with the temperature around 50 degrees here at the Aerie. What little breeze there was has pretty much disappeared and become extremely light--barely enough to move the aspen leaves. It's difficult to determine from which direction they are blowing since they swirl around the slopes. The windmills (which are not turning, BTW) indicate the last wind strong enough to orient them came out of the south.

******

I didn't get a whole lot done yesterday. The dang chainsaw started and ran for a half hour to forty-five minutes and then, after I set it down to move some of the wood I had cut, and refilled the gas tank, it would not run for more than a minute before stalling out. Perhaps the gas has something to do with it, but I wasn't going to mess with the fickled thing. The ATV behaved well enough, however, and allowed me to haul the previously cut and stacked wood out of the woods to the area next to the driveway where I will eventually split it.

******

Mark reports that one of the old outlets in the kitchen of the Bolt Hole--the one the refrigerator, modem and outside light are connected to--fried. Luckily that was all it did. Could have been a disaster if it had started a fire. The wiring to that outlet is the original canvas covered, two-wire stuff with no ground wire. Without the ground, it would not trip the circuit breaker when overloaded.

We'll have to rewire the box and, maybe put a dedicated circuit in to handle the load.

******

Which brings me to tomorrow. Terry will be home in a few hours which means I'm free to head north. I'll be taking the ATV up to the Bolt Hole then head over to Amsterdam and Alpin Haus to pick up the travel trailer. The TT goes to the Bolt Hole and that's where I'll stay for a few days--to rewire the kitchen; to haul wood out of the forest; to move already split firewood from the barn to the cabin woodshed; to apply some tar to the seam of the roof between the cabin and the woodshed in yet another feeble attempt to keep water out of the area (we'll have to rebuild that thing soon!); and do what ever else needs to be done.

******

Until then, I'll be watching the pros play football today. I won't be able to catch the Monday night games (no TV at the Bolt Hole) so I'm currently enjoying the Giants-Panthers game (Giants win 31-18 in a game with a total of 9 turnovers) and will watch the Eagles-Packers and then Cowboys-Redskins tonight.

No comments: