Sunday, September 05, 2010

I hates meeses to pieces!

I mentioned that the mice really enjoyed their free range in the Bolt Hole while we were away. The failure of and spillage from the refrigerator provided them with an abundance of free goodies to munch upon while not having to expose themselves to outdoor predators.

I hadn't heard a squeek from them the first two nights I was here but last night, while Mark and I were sitting here checking our emails a few of the bold rascals proceeded to tap dance upon the tins on the shelf. I excused myself and set two traps baited with peanut butter. Within minutes I had two dead mice. Moments after Mark left the traps simultaneously snapped again and I had two more dead critters. And, while emptying the traps, another little mouse showed up on the shelf to investigate. I grabbed that one and killed it in hand-to-hand combat, so to speak. Five dead mice in about an hour. This morning the two traps were filled again bringing the total to seven.

It's unlikely that that's all the mice I've got int he cabin, but I have to believe--or, rather, hope--it put a dent in the resident population.

Maybe I should invest in a free range ferret? Even a wild weasel would be nice.

1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

That's a mess of meese!