Sunday, July 05, 2009

tap...tap...tap...Is this thing broken?

I'm speaking about the weather machine. We've had two consecutive days without any rain, lots of sunshine, temperatures into the 70s, and, well, just plain gorgeous weather.

Saturday I managed to get the grass cut and the garden plots weeded before sitting down to a lunch of grilled burgers, cole slaw, macaroni salad, corn on the cob, and watermelon.

Everything is growing like gang busters out there in the garden. And, while we do not feed the seed eaters any more, the birds in residence will certainly help keep bugs away. The wrens and phoebes in particular are our organic insecticide squad. Since each have already fledged one nest full of youngun's, there are plenty of bug eaters out there. (However, should they prove overwhelmed with the responsibility, I'll pull out the Sevin as a back-up.)

We need some bats, though. The mosquito population finds Terry irresistible. She can go outside for two minutes at noon and come back in with half a dozen mosquito bites. And, of course, the wet June weather was perfect for mosquito growth.

******

Walking about yesterday, I came across a small pile of fur along the power line right of way. It looked like fine rabbit fur. I squated down to look closely and gave it a small prod with my index finger. It moved in response and four little noses poked upward. Four tiny little cottontails with their eyes still closed huddled in that tiny "nest" (actually, I believe it is called a "form") that was no more than a hollow in the leaves covered by fur plucked from their mother's breast. They must have thought my probing finger was their mother returning.

I went back to the cabin to get my camera--and Terry. Returning to the form, I showed Terry my discovery. The little ones weren't much larger than a deer mouse without the tail and had ears just the tiniest bit larger. Each one had a white blaze running vertically down their forehead.

I tried to take a picture, but they insisted upon returning to their little hole in the leaves every time I brought them out. Not wanting to stress them over much, I yielded to Terry's wish to just leave them be.

Cute little things. Probably the second litter of the season for their mom. If they start playing Peter Cottontail to my Farmer McGregor, however, it will be hasenpfeffer time.

******

It was a mere 51 degrees this morning at 7 AM. No clouds in the sky will do that. Could get even cooler tonight with a low in the upper 40s.

******

I do not wish to--and will not--talk about the Mets except to note that they are now four games back and in fourth place in the NL East after dropping three in a row to the Phillies.

******

The guys were out cutting trees and hauling logs out of the woods yesterday and today. Granted they only worked about half a day each day but still--Fourth of July and then Sunday? I guess, like a farmer mowing hay, they need to get some production out ot the nice days when ever they fall. I can totally understand that.

******

I'll probably be heading back up to the Bolt Hole this week. The roofs of the cabin (three of em) require a good cleaning and painting. One has a minor amount of rust but the other two will require some serious pressure washing before they get painted. One also has an old, unused brick chimney that is in horrible condition and that needs to be removed. It used to run down into the kitchen where there was a stove/fireplace. Today it runs only about two feet below the peak of the roof and is supported by heavy timbers.

Some T-storms are predicted for early in the week so Wednesday through Friday look like the best days for roof work but it's not up to me. I'll just be free labor on this one. Mark's arranging for the paid supervisor/boss and will join me as part of the staff.

******

2 comments:

threecollie said...

Cold here too but at least the sun is sorta kinda out. Wish we could put the long johns away. lol

Cassie said...

The weather sounds fab to us! We are also having a little cool spate here in N. Idaho and Patrick is especially loving it...great for sitting on the deck and vegging out!

I just love those little bunnies too. Hootie (the Welshie) loves them more though, so I hope ours stay hiden!