Saturday, August 15, 2009

Bolt Hole Report, August 15, 2009

The last couple of days saw my buddy Mark and I demolish the front porch, attempt to jack up the front beam of the Bolt Hole and prep for the rebuilding of the porch.



Mark had to leave for a previous commitment Friday and I spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning up the demolishing, stacking the old tongue-and-groove flooring in an out of the way place, and burning some of the most rotten and powder post beetle damaged wood you'd ever home to see. (Although when the back shed gets torn down--or more likely falls down--the porch wood will seem like solid oak in comparison.)

Suffice to say, it's been a sweaty, dirty couple of days and there's still a huge, gaping hole where the porch and house meet that affords ready access to the basement for the chipmunks and other critters.



All this hammering and banging has deterred the mice, however. After trapping nine in the first two nights I was here, they haven't bothered the baits.

This morning I hooked up my utility trailer and went down to Lowe's for materials to rebuild the porch. Sheets of AdvanTech, pressure treated 2x6s and 4x4 posts, a bag of mortar and a bag of concrete to patch up the foundation, and all the hardware and fasteners set me back $500. Call it a stimulus to the Lowe's bottom line.

I've got to be heading back to the Aerie for clean clothes, a good meal or two, and some tools before Mark and I can rebuild starting Tuesday.

1 comment:

Richard said...

Now that looks like a worthwhile project for someone with your many talents. Have fun my friend...been there....lol.