Saturday, October 02, 2010

Bolt Hole Report, October 2, 2010

I took advantage of today's cool temperatures, light breeze and fair skies to do all the wood splitting that needed to be done. It only took me from around 9:30 until 2:30 to get 'er done. The constant running of the log splitter was only interrupted when the tank ran dry and for a half hour lunch break. Now I've got a huge pile of split wood in need of stacking. That will be the job for tomorrow.

******

Meanwhile, Mark came over this evening to ask if I had moved all the wood from the barn the last time I was here. Er, NO. There was still a wheel barrow full or so left on the pallets. It was taken. How about the half dozen flag stones in front of the cabin door? he asked. Er, NO! didn't you take them? I tell you, this petty thievery is really starting to get me a little angry. I guess I can look forward to more firewood being stolen from the barn as soon as I get it stacked in there. Doesn't do any good to complain about it either. How do you trace flagstones and firewood when the former are pretty nondescript and the latter is burned to ash before you even know it's gone? I'd put an infrared game camera in the barn, but that would probably get stolen too.

******

On a positive side, the weather was gorgeous today. Just under 40 degrees when I got up at 6:30, it warmed to 50 degrees this afternoon. Barely broke a sweat as I did the wood splitting. There was a pretty strong upper elevation wind blowing from the north in the morning if the clouds were any indication, and the geese were taking advantage of that tail wind as skein after skein made their way south. before I started the splitter there was a constant honking of the high fliers overhead.

Tonight is supposed to be quite cool with the temperatures getting down close to 30 degrees. At least they've taken the rain out of the forecast. Good thing since it might have been snow flurries instead!

******

If I remember correctly, the dark bands at either end of the wooley bear are supposed to represent the fall and spring while the middle brown stretch is the winter. The larger the band the longer the season and, in the case of winter, the more severe. If that's correct, we are going to be in for one hell of a winter! THe three caterpillars I found today among the logs all sported very small black ends and long brown middles. Oh oh!


1 comment:

threecollie said...

Sorry about the theft. That kind of thing is very frustrating...and aggravating...annoying...it was a good day to get work done though.