Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Aerie Report, September 7, 2011

So I spent the better part of the day up in Corning going through the steps for pre-op on the calcified lump in my right thigh. Met with the surgeon who will perform the operation, got a compatible pain med for the knees from the young female doctor who can't wait to shoot me up for the arthritis in the knees. Alas, that shall have to wait until "The Lump" has been out for several weeks so I can see if the anti-inflammatory meds she prescribed a couple of weeks ago have done any good.

Then it was over to the Corning Hospital to have a chest X-ray, EKG, and blood work done. Chest X-ray looked clear. The EKG looked excellent. Although there was a question about my pulse--just 39-44 beats per minute--which is not new. When I had surgery on my back 20 years or so ago, they almost didn't want to do it because my pulse was so low. My BP was a wee bit high at 130 over 80 but that's a level it's been at for years and years. Essentially, baring something weird from the blood work, I'm good to go on the 15th.

******

Later, Terry and I went and had lunch at Five Guys in Horseheads. It's a burger and fries joint that's growing into a national chain. If you haven't had one yet, just a word of warning: Go with one small fries for two people and think seriously of the small burger. They really serve up a heap of good food for a reasonable price.

I had a regular--that is to say "large"--bacon cheeseburger with tomato, onions, and mushrooms while Terry had the same sized cheeseburger with virtually the works. We also got one large fries to share and it was enough for four people. This was to be our main meal for the day. We left pretty well satisfied and knowing we would come back again. (There's a regular mall and several strip malls including a Staples, Michael's, Dick's Sporting Goods, and Barnes & Noble nearby so, yeah, we'll be back.)

******

Getting home, I emptied the rain gauge before heading into the house. It's been raining and raining and raining some more since sometime over the weekend. I last emptied the gauge last Thursday before our trip to West Wareham. The gauge held six (6) inches of water. If it rains all night like it did in the hour AFTER I emptied it--and it might--there could be another six inches in there tomorrow afternoon. Some farm creeks are well over their banks and some small rivers have flooded roads in the county already and the runoff hasn't reached many of the lower lying creeks yet.

There's a report that the local high schools are ready to recruit for water polo teams. None of them have pools, but field hockey and soccer just are not going to cut it if the rain doesn't stop soon.

No comments: