Wednesday, November 02, 2011

A new toy at the Aerie

UPS delivered a new toy to the Aerie yesterday afternoon: a Schwinn 250 Recumbent Bike.

I enjoyed using the recumbent bike down at Elite Physical Therapy and my knees felt much more limber after each use, that I started shopping around online for a good exercise bike. I found the Schwinn 240 model at Dick's Sporting Goods Store and looked at the reviews. They were all excellent (except for those that folks that had trouble reading the directions for set-up) so, when I saw that there was a newer 250 model (basically the same as the 240 except for the number of features that can be programmed into the monitor), I told Terry to see if the store in Williamsport had one in stock. I could have ordered it over the internet, but at that time there was a very large shipping fee that I didn't want to pay. (Dick's currently is offering free shipping on orders of $49 or more--with exclusions, of course.)

The Williamsport store did not have one in stock but could place an order and have it shipped directly to our home at no charge. So that's what we did.

It arrived November 1 via UPS as I said above. Terry and I spent about an hour getting the parts out of the box and assembling the bike. I have to say it was very easy to do with her reading the directions as I bolted everything together. Amazingly, there was no shortage of nuts, bolts or washers, and we had no pieces left over. The four tools you need to put it together--an Allen wrench, a crescent wrench, a socket wrench, and a Phillips head screwdriver--were all included in the parts package. The hardest task was getting all the pieces out of the plastic wrap in which they were sealed!

We set it up in the basement in front of the TV so we can watch a show while pedaling along. The thing is quiet enough that you hardly notice the background "whoosh" as you exercise. It also has speakers and a jack for your MP3 player if you'd rather listen to some tunes.





This morning I explored the various functions on the monitor and set up an exercise program for myself. (I should have read all the directions first because the result was one very difficult climb! I'll have to gear things back a tad if I expect to last more than 10 minutes at a time.)

Nice thing about the recumbent nature of the bike is that you can't let gravity do your work for you. Your legs and not your weight need to push the pedals. At the higher resistance levels, this can give you one heck of a workout. (I even got my pulse rate UP to 72! For those not following along: my resting pulse is usually around 50 beats per minute.) At lower resistance, you get to limber up your knee joints very nicely.

Who knows? By the time spring rolls around again, we may be ready to toss our real bikes in the back of the truck or Jeep and hit the miles and miles of bike paths around here.

5 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Nice toy!

ruthann said...

nice! i tried the bike but my knees rebelled. btw...isnt there a cup holder for your beer?....i mean water? lol

joated said...

There is indeed a cup holder! On the front of the monitor. There's also a place to attach a water bottle holder on the handle bar post. (That accessory wasn't included, however, and I'll have to get one at the bike store.)

JDP said...

I have a Schwinn Recumbent bike. I use it pretty often. They are a great way to excercise. Really nice when you want to stay inside.

JDP

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a larger home to place one of these. In Oregon the weather in late Fall,Winter, early Spring gives a lot to be desired for we older generation.