Friday, July 06, 2012

Well, that was...

...frustrating!

After charging all night, the new ATV battery was ready for installation. (Just as soon as I finished cutting the grass.) No problem at all getting the old battery out and the new one in since the Prohauler was still on the trailer and the battery location was about chest height.

New battery in place, I turned the key and pushed the start button. The engine growled but didn't catch. Got some starter fluid and sprayed it in the air intake hose and tried again. Nothing but growls. Made sure all the settings were correct (gas tank on, choke on, kill switch set to "Run," etc.) and tried once more. Still nothing but a few growls. Drained a bit of gas from the carburetor (a tiny amount of water but nothing significant). Pulled the new (in May) spark plug and it was moist with fuel. While holding the spark plug in my hand and under the shade of the engine I pushed the start button again. No spark! Shit! I pulled the air filter and checked all the wire connections. They seemed fine. Now I'm at a total loss.

I put the things I took apart back where they belonged and went int to have lunch thinking I would have to wait three weeks to haul it to Larry's to get it repaired.

Meanwhile I had to take the Tundra over to Sayre to have it serviced--again. Just an oil change and quick inspection after our trip to the west coast. Everything with the Tundra was fine. They even wanted to do the state inspection for which I'm due in September. I held off on that since I'm not sure whether Joe and I will take the Tundra up to northern Quebec for our fishing trip or use his vehicle. Might need another oil change in September if we do use the Tundra! For now, I'm good for another 7K miles.

On the way back, I swung over to Elmira to locate the Yamaha dealer there. Found it easily enough and asked about his service department's backlog. "One week," was the reply. Then I told him all about my Prohauler's malady and said I had talked to Larry's. "Yeah," he said, "I hear they're a month behind. Bring yours in and we'll see what we can do for you." So Monday morning I'll be hauling the Prohauler up to Elmira to have the guys at Glider City Powersports take a look and, hopefully, get it up and running before the month is out.

No comments: