Friday, March 20, 2015

Eight Weeks

Thursday marked the eighth week since my back surgery. I didn't post anything that day because I had reported on my Tuesday visit to the surgeon in my previous post: Progress! Needless to say, I've made some. Progress that is.

******

The Seavey clan is making a habit of winning the Iditarod. Dallas and his father, Mitch have one the last four races. This year, Dallas finished first with a time of 8 days, 18 hours, 13 minutes and 6 seconds. Mitch came into Nome second some 4 hours later. Dallas has now won in 2012, 2014 and 2015. Mitch won in 2004 and 2013. (See all the past winners here.)

The race isn't finished yet, however. There are still 32 teams out there as I type. (One is between Safety and Nome and should be getting there any. Minute. Now.) Rookie Musher Cindy Abbott is the current Red Lantern (last place).

******

Just when you thought winter was over.... We got a snowfall of about two inches today. I had just gotten excited about seeing real grass and dirt again, too. Now everything is once again covered in white. It might not last long, however. Tomorrow it's supposed to be in the mid 40s with a slight chance of a rain shower. That should be enough to melt the new snow. If not, the sun will shine brightly on Sunday and even though the temps won't be as warm they should nudge above freezing.


1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

Just finishing the race is quite an accomplishment. I was surprised, when we first moved to Alaska, that even the Red Lantern award winners are honored up here.