Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Hunting Season

Pennsylvania's rifle deer season opened on Monday and like tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands?) I was up and out early Monday morning and sitting on the hill by 6:30 AM. It was a cool--not cold--morning with a bit of an overcast and a steady breezy out of the northwest.

I heard the first shot around 7 AM only about 500 yards away. The second shot was about three times further at about 7:20 AM. (Actually, that second shot was really two.) Those were the only shots fired all day within a mile of the spot where I was sitting. Things were quiet all through the middle of the day with only a few shots fired (a l-o-n-g way away) after 3:30 PM

Me? I didn't see any deer nor even a squirrel. I eventually left when the sun went behind the ridge and the shadows grew too deep to make out the trail at the bottom of the hill. You can't shoot what you can't see.

Tuesday was a near repeat. Two shots--neither by me--early in the morning and then nothing all day. I grew tired of seeing nothing from my seat so between 10:30 and 12 I chose to take a stroll through the woods. I didn't see any deer there either.

I'll be sleeping in on Wednesday. Then I'll be working around the yard and the section of powerline right of way. The crew left some usable wood there. Several pieces that can be used for firewood.

No comments: