Thursday, April 19, 2018

Wednesday Birding around Wellsboro, PA


I took advantage of a relatively nice day on Wednesday (I won't call it a spring day as it was still a bit chilly for April 18th) to do some birding over around Wellsboro. I visited Hills Creek State Park, Darling Run on Pine Creek and the blind at The Muck off route 287. I only spent about an hour at each yet got to see some real nice birds. HCSP afforded some close up views of Horned Grebes and Common Loons as well as a Pine Warbler and Sharp-shinned Hawk. Being quite overcast, the lighting wasn't the best.
Horned Grebe

Common Loon
Pine Warbler
Sharp-shinned Hawk
The are of Darling Run (from the parking lot up to Pine Creek's confluence with Marsh Creek) allowed plenty of sightings of Ruby-Crowned Kinglets but those little buggers were way to quick for me to get a picture. The Belted Kingfisher always had its head turned the wrong way! And the Common Mergansers were j-u-s-t too far for a good shot.

The Muck provided pretty good views of Bufflehead and Green-winged Teal, but the use of autofocus with my camera gave me mixed success with other birds that hid behind and among the cattails. I had a Harrier fly past, too.

Bufflehead, four males and one female (on the left)

Green-winged Teal

I tried to get a picture of the Swamp Sparrow right outside the blind, but the camera kept focusing on the reeds. Then the bird took flight just as I pushed the button compounding the problem.
Swamp Sparrow
 Even a relatively cooperative Red-winged Blackbird sitting on a nesting box got messed up by the reeds.

Red-wing behind the reeds.
 I had to be careful to shoot between the reeds with a point focus setting.
Red-winged Blackbird.
I might have to go back to using my (heavy) Sony Alpha with the 600mm lens and manual focus.


No comments: