Friday, March 30, 2007

Birding from the deck

I was sitting on the deck this afternoon taking a break from doing some work with all the debris left along the power line right of way when I heard the call of an Eastern Phoebe (here and here) coming from the woods. It took me a few minutes to locate the bird even though there are no leaves on the trees yet. It had found a spot where it was against a background of pine. Only when it moved to a new location could I finally pick it out.

While looking at the Phoebe another small bird flitted into view. It landed on the trunk of a small tree and proceeded to climb/jump up the trunk. Getting the binoculars on this little guy proved to be pretty easy. It was a Brown Creeper (here and here).

Add these to the Great Blue Heron (here and here) that I saw yesterday checking out the small ponds many of the homes along the road have and we can add three more species to the list of birds seen from the deck of the Aerie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy the bird posts. Keep 'em coming!

MG