Monday, July 30, 2007

Morning to ya.

Well, I got the cistern full yesterday and there's a 5 micron filter on the line. (I saved the 1 micron for later next week when I would do a scheduled change of filters on the first of August.) The water is still cloudy in bulk but pretty clear in the glass. I'll take it--for now.

The temperatures are supposed to edge into the nineties this week but it is time to think about winter and spring.

I'll be heading to the Bolt Hole to do some firewood hauling and splitting--a task I've left to Mark for too long. There are downed trees, cut into blocks that have to be hauled out of the woods and then split so they can dry some more before winter sets in. (And up in the Adirondacks, that could be the middle of September.)

Adam has been showing up to spackle the basement walls which means I won't get much of a break even if it rains. Terry insists that we have the basement ready for company by Thanksgiving.

Hunting season approaches (well, it does!) and I need to get my 2007-2008 licenses for NY and PA. Applications for doe permits for PA are to be mailed August 6. I've got to get some time in with the bow, and the rifle as well as pick out some likely spots for tree stands soon. Mark and I want to start with the bow season in NY this year instead of letting it pass us by.

As for spring planning, it's time to lay out the flower and veggie gardens here at the Aerie. Much of the ground surrounding the building site is fill from the leveling of the area. It's heavy in clay and stone so the big iron bar will come in handy to break it up. Meanwhile I've salvaged some of the soil from around the roots of the few trees that had to be bulldozed and added that to our vegetable waste, pulled weeds and some shredded paper to start a compost heap. Our best bet is for some raised beds, but even for them, the surface needs to be loosened.

Then there's the retaining wall--materials to be delivered. And the painting of the roofs at the Bolt Hole--materials to be purchased. And ...oh, well, lots and lots of stuff to do.

Now all I have to do is get the energy to do some of these things. Maybe another cup of coffee is in order.

3 comments:

GUYK said...

When you are thinking about THAT MUCH work another cup of coffee is ALWAYS in order.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you follow my philosophy - "I'd rather burn out than rust out."

Cryhavoc said...

I am so ready for bow hunting, I just gotta get all my gear together and clothes cleaned and I am ready to roll! Whenever I see the deer out and about it gets me going!

Hunting Forums