Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Unwanted Guest for Diner

Terry and I were just sitting down to our July 4th meal of barbecued chicken, potato salad and corn on the cob when I looked out the door to see we had a “guest.” No doubt it smelled the smoke from the grill. (The rich aroma of chicken barbecue will attract all sorts!) It wandered down the hill only to pause at the bird feeders.
Black Bear at Aerie, July 4, 2007
Unwelcome guest.

I opened the screen door to take a couple of photos and then shouted. I might as well have run a dinner bell. The bear didn’t react except to start licking up sunflower seeds. I stepped out further and yelled some more but the bear only took one or two steps up the hill before turning around and heading back to the feeder.
Black Bear at Aerie, July 4, 2007

I loaded up my Viper air rifle and waited for it to turn so I could shoot a pellet at its backside. When it did, I fired and it ran a dozen steps up the hill before stopping. It then meandered on its way and I lost sight of it in the trees.

I’m not sure if this is the same bear that visited during the night last week. It seemed a bit larger today. I know I thought last week’s visitor looked too small to have bent the shepherd’s crook bird feeder holders but today’s “guest” may have been able to do so.

No comments: