Thursday, February 19, 2009

American Goldfinch

We've also got some American Goldfinches mixed in with the huge crowd of Pine Siskins. Yesterday I noticed this little guy on the deck with the other birds. It took me a moment to realize what was wrong. Can you spot the problem?

American Goldfinch



American Goldfinch


V
V
V
V
V
V


If you look carefully, you'll see that his right foot is curled into a ball. He can not spread it out. He hopped along fairly well and was able to grasp a seed from the deck and the tray, but I imagine he would have problems perching on a branch or even on a feeder.

4 comments:

Cassie said...

Poor little guy. Do you suppose he will survive the winter?

joated said...

So far, so good. He has all these bird feeders to fall back on for easy food. He's got a month to get out of winter. Competition for a mate, clinging to tall grass stalks seeking insects and seed, however, might prove more difficult.

Shelley said...

Poor little thing! (Do you think its a female?) I noticed my males are starting to get their color back the last couple weeks. Thought that would mean an early spring among the other signs I've seen - but I'm wrong as we're expect 5+ inches tomorrow!

JihadGene said...

Hope he makes it! I'm putting out more bird feed.