Sunday, February 22, 2009

Craftsman Joiner parts

Remember that part I wanted to get at Sears? It's for my 6-1/4 inch joiner. I went to get a set of blades because I put a nick in the set on the machine when I ran some less than clean wood through it to create the legs for my workbench project. I said that the part I wanted was discontinued and no replacement was available. I was wrong.

When I went to the store i gave the clerk my model number and he looked it up on the computer. Neither of us was sure of the name of the part I wanted (can't locate the owner's manual...but I've got it somewhere safe!) so I looked over his shoulder and saw a part that looked like the one I needed. That was the mistake. We looked up that part: "Blade, wedge" and what I really wanted was the part above that which would be the blade itself.

The changed the design of the blades and there is a blade available at $33 each. I need three of them. I'm guessing that they incorporated the wedge into the blade some how. (I could also get the entire rotor assembly which includes the blade for $135.)

4 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

You've collided with a couple of those immutable laws of life: a) engineers love to change things, and b) everything costs more than you thought.

Cassie said...

Glad you found the blade. A lot cheaper than having to purchase a whole new saw.

1Elsie said...

I have the same problem. What model of Joiner do you have and what was the replacement part number?

joated said...

Heh? You made me go do some homework on that question 1Elsie.

But it was good for another post wherein I supply answers so I guess I should say "thank you"?

http://pointsofcompass.blogspot.com/2009/09/craftsman-joiner-parts-q.html