Monday, February 16, 2009

More Unintended Consequences

Sunday Althouse asked:

Why can't I buy gas without ethanol in it?


Like Ms. Althouse, I've noticed the dramatic decrease in mpg as a result of burning a mixture of gasoline and ethanol. I've seen between a 10 and 20% reduction in my Tundra's mpg. (The exact decrease is variable and depends upon how much ethanol is in the mix. Since all the pumps say "up to 10%, it's tough to figure what you're going to get with each tankful.) At first I thought it was just due to the cold and use of the 4-wheel drive more frequently, but now.... I've also heard some horror stories about ethanol and gaskets. Not. Compatible.

Instead of getting 360 miles on a tank of fuel, I'm getting closer to 270-300 miles. That means I have to burn more fuel to cover the same distance. It would seem to me that if the goal of greenies was to find an alternative fuel, one that did not produce 20% more gases for the same distance traveled would be preferred.

Go on and read the comments at Althouse's post. No one is happy.

Today, Althouse asks:

But what if I don't want my car running on cheese?

Yeah, she's in Wisconsin but still.... I mean, is there nothing cheese can't do?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I thought it was just me that noticed the mpg thing. Meh.

Rev. Paul said...

So now that Congress in its decidedly finite wisdom has decreed it, we're:
a) getting less horsepower
b) fewer mpg, and
c) paying more for less gasoline.

What a bunch of maroons. And yes, that's them for passing the legislation, and us for electing them.

Cassie said...

Agreed. The mpg has decreased. Don't get me started. I see red every time I hear these tree huggers go on about how the power plants should all be shut down and THEN say to use electric cars. Where do they think the power will come from for their cars?? Idiots!! Oh oh. You got me started. :<)

Rev. Paul said...

Cassie, you're the best. Bwaa haa haa ha ha ha!

Shelley said...

All time record profits at Exxon. We are all being robbed people!

GUYK said...

My Ram is supposed to be equipped to handle the mix but I do lose MPG as well as some performance with the stuff. I would rather pay the extra nickle and get the real thing