Thursday, February 19, 2009

Wet Snow at the Aerie

We had a bit of wet snow over night that continued well on into the morning. This snow would have been perfect for building snowmen, if I had been so inclined. The total accumulation was just around 3 inches but that necessitated my doing some shoveling. Especially since the plow did the road and left a 6-8 inch high pile at the end of the driveway. I got my work out clearing the snow. It took two hours of constant movement and I was quite sweat soaked when I finished--one layer too many, I suppose.

The snow continued through out the entire time I was shoveling with only a few minutes here and there when it became sleet. The morning temperatures were a pretty constant 32-33 degrees. Around noon the sun finally broke through as the clouds were driven south by an ever strengthening wind. Of course, the wind, out of the north west, meant the temperatures were going to eventually head south as well. And they did. Between 4 PM and 5:30 PM the temperature dropped from 34 degrees to 18 degrees. The graph on my little digital thermometer looked just like a hockey stick! except the blade was pointed downward.

The wind continues to howl and the house is creaking under the strain. The trees sound like a freight train. The temperature continues to fall, too. At 7:30 PM it is now 15.4 degrees.

No comments: