Monday, March 09, 2009

Terry's returned

Terry successfully returned to the Aerie Sunday afternoon despite having to drive in the rain for the last 200+ miles. That's essentially from the southern border of PA all the way home.

She had stayed with her friend in southern Virginia from Friday until Sunday morning and reports that there was more snow visible in Virginia than there was around here.

Calling her cousin in Sumter, SC when she got home, she learned that it was 70°F there and then learned it was near 60°F in southern Virginia. It was a mere 40°F here at the Aerie. All the clouds and rain kept the temperature from rising any further. Today it rained even harder while the winds came out of the north and the temperature did not get much above 35°F.

Terry said she had a productive time with the SAGA executive board in Savannah, a grand time with her relatives in Sumter, and a wonderful visit with her friend in Virginia.

Aunt Nancy down in Sumter sent a box of double-decker chocolate Moon Pies. She's such a sweetie! Terry also brought me a box of chocolate covered graham crackers. With all this plus Terry's cooking to look forward to, I had better start getting outside more. Luckily, we've a birdwalk planned for tomorrow (Tuesday) morning. We may be pushing things a bit, but the weather is supposed to be clearing overnight and the morning will be nice. The afternoon promises to deteriorate quickly into more rain and wind that will only subside on Wednesday. (Up north this may be snow.)

We had a surprise visitor on the tray feeder on the deck today: a Sharp-shinned Hawk. It was just sitting there on the feeder looking at the sunflower seeds and staring around for the other birds. It almost looked stunned but I had not heard the thud associated with a bird that large smacking into the glass on the end of the house. I took quite a few pictures and will see about posting them tomorrow. The hawk came back later and perched on the branch on the side of the yard where it (or one like it) had perched many times last winter. I welcome a bird-eating hawk like the sharp-shinned to the area. Perhaps it can slow down the consumption of sunflower seeds. I bought two 50lb. bags on February 28th. One of those bags is now empty and the other has a huge dent made in it already.

Tomorrow afternoon I've got an appointment to have the Tundra looked at for its 15K check-up/oil change.

Now that Terry's home to take care of the cats, I'm free to do some traveling of my own. Thursday, I'm heading up to the Bolt Hole to see how it survived the winter--so far, for, up there it's not over until the woodcock sings--and sometimes even he's a bit early. I my have to chip a lot of ice away from my front door. Mark got some of the worst out of the way this past weekend after some folks (The Rabbit Hunters--see below) reported the front door was being buckled by ice.

I'll also bring my shotgun with me for Sunday is the last day of rabbit season and there are quite a few running around the place. There are eight or so guys (The Rabbit Hunters) who have a few beagles and who have permission to hunt my property. They will be up there on Saturday. I may just post myself along the road and wait to see if the dogs are successful at running a hare through the area I can cover.

That is all.

4 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Welcome home, Terry!

GUYK said...

I could use some of that rain here...next time tell her to go home via Florida and bring that rain with her

Shelley said...

You have a nice week planned - hope you see a lot of birds on your walk! And I'll take one of those moon pies please!

Anonymous said...

sit on the trail my butt! new guys go in the woods. especially the ones who know the land, and have brand new snow shoes!:) sir.........