Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Woodworking 103 (4)

I'm nearly done with the wall hanging piece I began two weeks ago. I think it's come along real well, but, as the person putting it all together, I know there are flaws. So many little pieces to cut at an angle and so many edges that needed to be glued...being off by even 1/32 of an inch or a degree of angle can lead to a multiplying of the error on a piece that measures 21 inches on a side.



The wider pieces of walnut that separate the central star from the triangles and corner squares had to be individually cut and sanded to fit. The band saw and bench disk/belt sander really came in handy for that even if the sanding produced a great deal of fine dust.

The only things left to do: apply a final ribbon of 1/8 inch thick walnut around the edges (already cut to width and sanded) and a final finish of spray-on verathane. I'll get the ribbon done tomorrow morning and the verathane will be applied the next day unless there's going to be rain. (If the humidity is too high the stuff will take a long time to dry.)

I've got the materials for two more quilted pieces similar to this one and now that I know what to look for/be careful of they should be relatively easy to do.

6 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

It's looking good! And clearly, you are WAY more patient than I.

Joan of Argghh! said...

More! More! It really is beautiful.

GUYK said...

WOW! You must have the patience of a high school shop teacher!

joated said...

Thanks for the kind comments folks.

Guy I taught high school science and middle school computer usage (wordprocesser, spreadsheets, data bases, etc.). I found that when I work alone I have more patience than when I'm in the classroom. I got frustrated when the little buggers started playing games. And the kids in the classroom were as bad as the folks in the office and faculty lounge.

Hence the birdwatching and photography, fishing, hunting and woodworking.

gregor said...

outstanding. i don't think i could work through that.

Cassie said...

It has turned out wonderfully! Good job!