Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Adventures In Deck Staining, pt.. 3

I'm done with the deck--and the ribbon joists--and the 6" x 6" posts--and the front steps. I'm done with all things needing a cedartone stain. Next up are the rails and balusters and they get a pine stain that is somewhat lighter in shade as soon as I find one.

******

I was done on the ground this afternoon using a step ladder to reach the ribbon joists when I heard Terry coming down the driveway on the other side of the deck. I looked up and there, in the grass walking toward me, was a hen grouse. I pointed it out to Terry who didn't even notice it until then. While Terry approached, the grouse just walked right past me and on into the woods on the other side of the lawn; never in a hurry or showing the least concern for our presence. Stupid bird.

******

My new tenant hasn't made an appearance today. I could use the help mowing the grass there, fella! (That's tomorrow's chore du jour.) The damn dandelions raised their heads as soon as I finished mowing last week and are now going to seed--so's the grass for that matter.

******

While I was doing the staining, Terry made a pumpkin pie for tonight's dessert. That New Jersey Pumpkin Pie recipe out of the Carolina Cookbook is absolutely unbeatable! Especially when it's made with real pumpkin chunks and not the canned, pureed stuff. I like to chew my pie, not eat it with a straw.

1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

I'm glad you're making headway, and that the rain is holding off.

That pie sounds good, too. YD is fixing brown-sugar-and-bacon waffles (Brigid's recipe) tonight.