Monday, May 03, 2010

Aerie Weather: As confusing as ever.

Yesterday was a much cooler day than I expected with the high being only in the 76 degree range. Most of that was due to the solid cloud cover we had that threatened rain showers all afternoon, but didn't deliver until after 8 PM. Even then, it was a feeble delivery compared to what was forecast.

We seem to have missed the worst of the rains. Last evening, when they were still forecasting a high probability of thunderstorms, it looked like they were lined up along the western side of the Appalachians to come chugging our way. I put the radar maps in motion and they were moving steadily in our direction, but something strange was happening as the yellows and reds got into PA--they were breaking apart and losing energy. In fact, the entire solid green mass creeping north-northeast along the Appalachians was breaking up into smaller blobs of green as it crossed I-80. And, overnight, some breath of air from the northwest shoved the whole thing off to the eastern side of the mountains and on to the coast.

Oh, we got some rain overnight and we may get a few showers this morning, but, from what I can tell, the vast bulk of the rain has moved to New Jersey. There are supposed to be some rain showers around tomorrow as well, but then there will be a window of opportunity for me to get some staining done on Wednesday if I get started early in the day. I need 24 hours for it to dry and there are some showers (30% chance) forecast for Thursday.

2 comments:

Cassie said...

Looks like NE PA has been getting some wierd weather. Mom said that it was 90degrees in Dushore on Saturday! I find that hard to believe, but that's what the old gal said. It was about 45 here in N.Idaho yesterday---high winds. Okay by me. Have a good week.

commoncents said...

Thank you for posting this! I find you blog VERY interesting!!

Steve
Common Cents
http://www.commoncts.blogspot.com

ps. Link Exchange???