Sunday, November 15, 2009

Aerie Report, November 15, 2009

While points east of use, meaning the coast, have been buffeted by the remnants of Id and folks out in the Rockies are facing a significant snow storm, we here in north-central PA have enjoyed an extended Indian Summer. The sun has been shining and the temperatures will soar into the high 60s today. Interestingly, it's almost 10 degrees cooler down in the valley. There hasn't been much of a breeze for the last three days which translates into dense fog along all the water ways below us. The hills have looked like islands in a white sea each of the last few mornings.

While the temperatures will return to normal starting tomorrow, the prospects of precipitation remain minuscule until Friday. Even then it's a 50-50 shot right now according to weather.com. they say there's a better chance of precip next Monday and Tuesday (the 23rd and 24th)--which is to be expected as those are the first two days of bear season. *sigh*

******

On the personal injury front: My left knee feels about as good as it did before the slip and fall. That means it still hurts a bit but I'd feel comfortable going back into the woods. The therapist gave me some exercises to do at home to strengthen that leg and they seem to be having a positive affect. I may have to start doing the same for my right leg soon or I'll be lopsided.

******

I'll be heading up to the Bolt Hole for an overnight visit. There were some things that I left behind when I had to bug out after the injury. I don't intend to do any hunting while there. Talking with Mark, it would be futile to look for any whitetails. He did a walk about after there was a bit of snow on the ground last week and saw only coyote tracks on his side of the road and not even that on my side. He's up there for a day or two as I type. Of course, should he call tonight and say he saw something interesting, I might throw my gear in the truck after all.

4 comments:

JDP said...

You better take your gun, you know if you don't a big buck is going to just walk out of the woods and stand there begging to be shot!

JDP

Rev. Paul said...

I'm still tee-heeing, imagining you walking in a circle while permanently listing to starboard.

We got your winter weather, and ours, too: it's 5 degrees this morning.

joated said...

JDP, you're probably right. Stranger things have happened. Like the time Mark bought a new muzzle loader and went to the cabin to test it. He decided on a mid day nap before trying out his new rifle. His snores attracted a fork horn to his partially open window. Mark woke up when the yong buck snorted at him. A scramble to open the box, read the manual, load the rifle and then he followed it out his driveway and into the field behind my garage. Mark climbed onto the garage roof. He missed his first shot but; luckily, had the makings for a reload. The buck was confused as to where the shot came from and presented Mark with a second chance. It was all he needed to put venison in the freezer.

Rev. Paul, my right leg is already weaker due to an old ankle injury so I listed before the current injury. As for the weather, yeah, accuhunch says the deep freeze will remain in Seward's Icebox for the rest of this week. Enjoy!

JDP said...

Damn, I have rattled up quite a few bucks in my day buy I never managed to snore one up. Have dozed off to sleep in a deer stand on more than one occasion. Tell Mark he should have bought a Lottery ticket that day, the odds and the Gods were on his side for sure.

JDP