Sunday, June 06, 2010

Another Leaky Faucet...and More!

And this is why we decided on a shake-down cruise at a local campsite.

Last night, I finished washing the dishes in The Trailer's galley sink and turn off the water. Only the hot water won't stop running. I had a similar problem with the bathroom sink and found that by just disassembling the faucet and then putting it back together, the problem was solved. Seems The Trailer sat a little too long and the rubber-and-spring assembly inside the faucet got "tired."

So I shut off the water and disassembled the galley faucet. Different problem. The rubber washer had a tear in it and there was no way to massage it back to life. It needed replacement. Of course, being a Saturday night, the closest RV places would not be open until Monday. The Camping World in Bath wouldn't open until 11 AM on Sunday, but the Wal-Mart in Painted Post is open 24/7.

I made the drive to Wally World this morning at 7 AM (could have done it last night, but I figured if Wally World didn't have a fix, I'd have to go up to Bath and why make two trips in that direction). I was disappointed to find that, although a Super Wal-Mart, the RV section was smaller than what we have in Mansfield. Same with the hardware and plumbing section. BUT, the plumbing section did have an inexpensive (under $13) replacement faucet that would do the job. I bought one, and a tube of silicon caulk, and headed back to The Trailer.

Out with the old and in with the new in no time flat. I was finished with the plumbing chores by 9 AM. Two hours including a 60+ mile round trip to get the materials. I'm feeling pretty good!

******

Weather: In a word: WET.

Over two inches of rain fell at the Aerie overnight and probably the same amount at Ives Run Campground where we had thunder, lightening and heavy winds. Scattered showers are still predicted for today. Many campers were pulling out this morning as I made my repairs.

At least the temperatures have been comfortable. They have been in the 70s which is good because the humidity, as to be expected has been even higher.

******

The cats will be going to Adam's this afternoon. (Don't tell them! 1) They hate to travel. 2) Adam has a Golden Retriever and, while it is accustomed to cats, the opposite is not necessarily true.) We've got their food, dishes, even their beds and litter box and litter ready to go. We'll take them out to the garage one by one to go into their traveling cases. I just have to find my gauntlets....

******

Two to go (Monday and Tuesday) before we go on the road.

No comments: