Thursday, January 27, 2011

Reading is fun...da...mental

I enjoy reading. Most of my reading is for entertainment purposes only as, except for some science or historical tomes, I get bored or befuddled. Or depressed.

Monday, Terry and I went up to Horseheads to go to Staples. Both of our printers were sore in need of spare ink cartridges. Right next door to Staples is a Barnes & Noble so, of course, we went in to browse. We had already gone to Amazon.com to make a wish list the night before, but there were Simon & Schuster Crossword Puzzle books on the shelves as well as a copy of Sir Terry Prachett's I Shall Wear Midnight, a stitching magazine, and a romance novel that Terry wanted. I still have a B & N card so a discount was involved but the price was still much higher than Amazon where there's no brick and mortar or sales staff to pay for. Sometimes, however, you just have to have an item right now and not 7 to 14 shipping days later. (No I do not have Amazon Prime for free shipping but the discount on the books is still enough.)

Anywho. I bought the Prachett novel because I wanted it now. Dammit! Anything to get my mind off the weather and/or politics. And it worked. For a day. That's how long it took me to read this fourth--and supposedly final--story of Tiffany Aching--now a teenage witch of 16--and the Nac Mac Feegles (aka The Wee Free Men).

This is has been classified as a teen book and that's where the clerk found it for me after I couldn't locate it with the other Prachett novels, but it's a pleasant enough read for any age and especially so if you're a Prachett fan. The action isn't as fast and furious as it is with the stories of the Night Watch or Rincewind the Wizzard. (That's not a misspelling, BTW.)(Wiki entry here.) It comes closest to the cerebral games played with the Witches novels. Which, come to think of it, is appropriate since Tiffany Aching is now a 16 year-old witch with all the duties and encumbrances that entails.

Having finished this latest of Sir Prachett's novels I now have a choice. I can either go back and re-reread all 38 Discworld novels or move on to something else. I've the first two book from Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series sitting here unread. Perhaps I had best get to them since the next four are on their way via Amazon (shipped today) as are books 11-13 of the Dresden Files (also by Butcher) and three or four Marcus Didius Falco mysteries by Lindsey Davis. (Yeah, I've fallen behind in my leisure reading.)


No comments: