Saturday, March 10, 2012

On the Road

I'm going to head up to the Bolt Hole tomorrow to see if it's still standing. I haven't been there since we went back to get my truck after I damaged my knee last fall.

It might be a one day up-and-back or I could stay over night. It depends upon what I find. The weather, at least, will be cooperative. It's supposed to get up into the 50s there and close to 60 here at the Aerie with lots of sunshine on Sunday but a chance of showers late on Monday.

I should be hitting the sack since we'll lose an hour tonight with Daylight Savings Time starting, but there's this race in Alaska I've been following online....

After resting in Kaltag on the Yukon River for 5 and 1/2 hours, Aliy Zirkle has hit the trail for Unalakeet on the Bering Sea. Aliy spend much of the time in Kaltag alone with her dogs. John Baker and Mitch Seavey didn't get there until 3 and 1/4 hours after she arrived. Aaron Burmeister, Dallas Seavey and Jeff King arrived even later. None of them have taken out in pursuit of Aliy as of yet. She may well be in a position to dictate the pace of the race. And if she chooses to push things, she's likely to run the boys into the ground. She's got more than an hours head start as it is and still no one is stirring out of Kaltag.

2 comments:

threecollie said...

Thanks for sharing the Iditarod updates. Been too busy to follow this year except here and on Rev. Paul's blog. I was wondering if you had been to the Bolt Hole in a while..

Rev. Paul said...

Now that the sun's been up for an hour, we're at 7 degrees. At least that's above zero.

Aliy Z is dozing (if not sleeping outright) while riding her sled, and says she's seen her dogs fall asleep while still running. One racer, whose name escapes me, fell off his sled a decade ago during a nap, and now has his butt in a sling - literally - while mushing. Just in case.

I hope the Bolt Hole is intact, sound, and all those good things.