Sunday, February 17, 2008

Just asking...

So, I'm at the Bolt Hole where I'm using dial-up service. Since I have only one phone line, the computer is disconnected when I'm not actually online and the phone is plugged back into the jack in the wall.

Last night I checked for messages around 9 PM and then unplugged the computer when I was through.

This morning, when I woke the computer from it's slumber I got a message saying Windows had installed new software updates during the night and when I clicked for information, sure enough, the date stamp on the installation was after midnight as it bears today's date.

I'm running Vista on a Toshiba Satellite. What I want to know is how the hell it was able to download and install the updates while the computer had no access to the internet?

Forget FISA, put Microsoft in charge of tracking terrorists. Apparently they can do miracles. (Oh, wait, Bill Gates would then be the first to see all this information...Forget about it. Reminds me of the portrayal of Ma Bell in Our Man Flint.)

2 comments:

Richard said...

Check to see if your computer has a wireless connection built in. That's the only way it could download without being plugged in.

joated said...

Sure, it's got wireless connectivity built in, but I've not got a router here at the Bolt Hole. No wi-fi connectivity here at all at the end of the road. The phone company hasn't seen fit to run a fiber optic cable through the boonies yet. So unless it's beamed from a satellite....