Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Oh, no! Not more snow?!

I spent about an hour and a half today using the snow thrower to clear most of the 5 inches of snow from the driveway. I say most because having a gravel drive I need to keep the front blade of the thrower elevated or risk tossing stones all over and the last thing I want is a broken window in the Aerie or one of the vehicles. The result is about a half inch is left on the ground when I’m though. If/when the sun comes out this is usually going to melt pretty quickly and then I’m down to the gravel.

The sun did come out this afternoon for a few brief spurts but the temperatures never got above 24 degrees F and, as a result, the expected melting just wasn’t going to happen. I just went outside and found that it’s bloody cold out there. At 9 PM it’s about 8 degrees with a fairly brisk breeze (not wind) blowing. It’s cold enough that after standing on the deck for a few minutes I could feel my willy trying to crawl up inside where it could get warm. Upon returning to the indoors, it took me five minutes to convince it to come out so I could take a leak.

Shit, I just checked the weather and there’s a forecast for 3 to 5 inches of additional snow Friday night into Saturday. This is going to stop soon, isn’t it? Please tell me it will stop.

(The Bolt Hole got over 10 inches of snow from this latest storm and is forecast to receive 7 more this Friday/Saturday. Those totals are on top of the 8-10 inches that fell Tuesday/Wednesday of last week after I left. At least the current lake effect snow is falling to the south and west of the cabin.)

2 comments:

Jess said...

Hm, wasn't someone just complaining the other day about not getting real snow?

Ask, and ye shall receive. :D

joated said...

Jess, the real snow is falling at the Bolt Hole. What we have here at te Aerie is just nuisance snow. At 4-5 inches a pop, you just get it cleared away and--BINGO--here comes the next wave. It's the difference between stepping in a hornets nest and having one or two show up at the picnic table again and again.

I'd rather get a foot every two-three weeks than 4-5 inches every third day. Of course, up at the Bolt Hole it seems to be a foot every third day.