Saturday, April 19, 2008

Chores and birds

Took a one-hour walk this morning to see what birds were about. I got 21 species just walking the road (1/4 mile) and back to the middle trail. Including a loon!? I heard the very distinctive call coming from over Mark's place but couldn't spot the bird. Lots and lots of juncos, chipping sparrows, robins and white-throated sparrows. I'll be posting about them tonight. I even heard an owl hooting about 10 AM this morning--weird.

One thing I discovered was two huge fir trees that came down right across the middle trail so that became project numero uno. It took me almost two hours to get them out of the way. That's when I discovered something else. Old age isn't creeping up on me, it's in full gallop. And I'm really, really out of shape! I was pooped when I finished.

Also did the new little trail to the north east to the hollow so we can dump the cut up pines that we have from clearing the apple trees.

Luckily, the ATV started right up and was able to haul my sorry ass and the equipment I needed (the chainsaw started on the second pull!) to the work sites.

No comments: