Monday, November 24, 2008

Aaaarrrgghh! (Part deux!)

Sooo, today was the opening of the PA three-day bear season. There were a few shots off in the distance and while I could have gone out, having gotten my tag and all, but I opted to stay in the house today.


It started snowing around 2 PM and was still snowing pretty hard as darkness fell. I left the bird feeders hanging outside despite wondering why the large one was empty this morning after I had half-filled it yesterday. As we finished eating dinner, I turned the outside light on to see if it was still snowing and thus I discovered the mystery of the missing sunflower seeds. A young bear stood with one paw against the telephone pole and the other steering the bird feeder to a position where it could lick the seeds into its maw. This is not Mr. Bruin of early in the year. Standing upright, it was clear it was not as tall as Mr. Bruin. Of course it was dark and well past shooting hours but as the bear stood there feeding for ten or fifteen minutes...I was sorely tempted. Too much noise, however. Besides, it was still snowing hard as evidenced by the white coating on the bear's fur. Eventually it went trotting off looking about the size of a St. Bernard dog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

why shoot a bear cub?????????????

joated said...

Cub? If 200-225 pounds is a cub....

Okay, maybe compared to Dufus' 475 pounds...