Saturday, November 08, 2008

Another Hunting Report from the Bolt Hole

Nothing.

That's what I saw on my walk through the woods Friday morning. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

Damp and overcast as it was, the ground was pretty quiet for a walk of just over three hours. Unfortunately, the temperature was still well above the norm and the deer, in their winter coats, were laying tight somewhere where I couldn't see them. Even if I walked past one, it could have easily gotten up and moved silently through the woods once I had passed.

A cold front moved through today and there was rain most of the day. While I have rain gear and could have gone out, the fact that I haven't even kicked a deer up over the last three days or even seen any sign that they might have entered the rut proved discouraging. Perhaps the change that's come today and the waxing gibbous moon will provide the incentive for them to get their sex drive into high gear.

Maybe Sunday morning.

The weather.com folks are saying there's a chance of some snow showers Monday. They aren't calling for any real accumulation but sometimes that means nothing at the Bolt Hole. We're often 5 to 10 degrees cooler and get a couple of inches while the Mohawk Valley gets next to nothing. Could be the stimulus the deer need. The cooler temps and snow would certainly make my walking in the woods more comfortable.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Hubby checked the deer cams - just saw one doe which I posted. There are some buck rubbings on the trees. (The last 6 years, he's only gotten 1 deer - so well see.)
Hope the snow & santa bring you your deer!