Sunday, November 23, 2008

Quiet Sunday

We had a little snow flurry activity at the Aerie this morning but Terry still managed to take her little yellow Aveo to NJ to pick up her Mom. They got back here to the Aerie by around 5 PM.

Shortly after Terry left this morning, I looked out side and saw a dozen turkeys under the bird feeders again. I'm telling you, they know the laws better than I do. (If I had known yesterday was the last day of the turkey season when those 17 birds gathered in the yard....) They know the season is over and even if it wasn't, there's no Sunday turkey hunting in PA.

Other visitors to the feeders were Downy Woodpeckers, Dark-eyed Juncos, Black-capped Chickadees, Blue Jays, American Goldfinch, Mourning Doves, and Tufted Titmouse. Over head we had a Red-tailed Hawk, Common Ravens and American Crows. I may have heard an American Robin off in the distance while I was pushing snow around. And there was a hammering on a soft dead tree in the distance and the peculiar call of a Piliated Woodpecker.

The temperatures rose most of the afternoon as the sky cleared and the sun actually came out for a few hours. It got up to around 31 degrees. That, mixed with the sun and aided my some rock salt, was sufficient to melt much of the snow on the driveway. The forecast is for warmer temperatures tomorrow morning but clouds return with some rain and, perhaps, snow showers Monday night.

I spent a few hours moving the little snow that we had off the driveway using a shovel and then spreading salt on the steeper slopes at the end of the driveway and in front of the garage. It paid off when the sun broke out later in the day.

After lunch, I tuned in the football games. Unfortunately, being located where I am, the regional coverage brought me the Bills/Kansas City game instead of the Jets/Titans one. Still, I followed the Jets' success on the computer. I also got to watch the Eagles get drubbed by the Ravens. And then the Giants did their thing against the Cardinals.

Now I'm switching channels to watch South Florida vs. UConn and Indianapolis vs San Diego.

No comments: