Sunday, April 12, 2009

Evening report

A quiet day here at the Aerie.

We spoke to our son (Eugene, OR) and daughter (Linden, NJ) wishing them both a Happy Easter. You might say it was a coast-to-coast moment as Rick was on the phone while I was IMing with Jessica.

Terry made a nice ham with scalloped potatoes and asparagus for dinner. Side dishes included deviled eggs, farmer's cheese and home made apple sauce. The left over ham and asparagus ended up in a dinner omelet.

The temperature got above 41 for about 30 seconds at 2 PM before retreating again. It'll drop down to the very low 20s overnight which is why I spend a little time moving more firewood into the garage and why I'm currently sitting before a fire in the fireplace. The cats are enjoying the warmth as well.

Oh, our night visitor is back---and I'm not talking about Ahmal. I did mount a game camera outside that is aimed at the bird feeder area. It started flashing before it got full dark. When a few flashes went off in quick succession, I assumed we had more than just a mouse triggering the camera and, sure enough, the flashlight revealed the bruin had returned. By the number of flashes I've seen, I should have quite a few pictures of him in the morning.

It would be nice to know where he holds up during the day. It can't be too far away if he's here so promptly after sunset. Then again, black bears can travel 10 miles in a day just searching for food. I know I can protect the garden (once I get around to planting things) from rabbits and perhaps deer, but to protect it from raccoons and especially bears would be a monumental task.

A story in the paper today about the start of trout season next Saturday which reminded me that I have to purchase my license. I also want to look for some ammo as well so I'll probably go to Cooper's Sporting Goods down in Mansfield tomorrow to look around. (Turkey season starts on the 25th and I'm hearing them in the back field most mornings. Of course, they won't be there after the 24th. Damn flock of literate turkeys!)

1 comment:

JihadGene said...

Trout season and dinner omelets...Yes! Happy Easter!JG