Wednesday, April 08, 2009

This and that.

Not much to say today. Woke up at 6:30 AM and found another dusting of snow on the ground (it continued most of the day but melted as it hit the ground). The high for the day was 43 degrees late this afternoon when the sun briefly made an appearance.

Terry returned to the Aerie arriving home around 3:00 PM. Whatever attacked here system has cleared and none of her friends have reported any problems. We suspect it was some sliced carrots and celery that we had out for guests on Saturday but did not re-immerse in the brine before she took it to snack in the car on Monday. (I don't eat much rabbit food and discarded the remaining stalks when Terry said she was ill. Even the rabbits haven't touched them so far.)

I spotted some Flickers mixed in with a flock of Robins on a lawn down the hill when I went for the mail this morning. With a temperature of just 28 degrees at the time, I don't think they were finding many worms or ants. There was also a group of Turkey Vultures and a Red-tailed Hawk, a few Crows and Blue Jays, and lots of LBJs (Little Brown Jobs) flitting along the road edge.

Back at the Aerie, we've had nothing but the same old, same old. The Red-bellied Woodpecker continues to come to the feeder tray. Blue Jays, Pine Siskins, White-breasted Nuthatches, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Purple Finches, Mourning Doves, Goldfinches (more yellow every day), and Dark-eyed Juncos. We had more of the snowbirds (Juncos) today than at any one time all winter. They were everywhere. I thought I heard a wren out in the thickets but that's one that is hard to spot unless he's right at the top of a shrub.

Did I mention Grey Squirrels? I counted eight at one time today. We've had as many as fourteen during the winter. The Chipmunks seem to have decided to go back to sleep until things warm up again. They were out last time it got close to 60 degrees but I haven't seen any for two...maybe three, days. As far as I can tell, bringing the feeders in each night has discouraged the local Black Bear and the Raccoon posse. And I haven't seen the Opossum since the night a little over a week ago when Julie shot out the door to chase a Cottontail Rabbit and ran right passed the startled possum.

I'll be planting some marigold seeds into six-packs. Last year we planted marigolds around the perimeter of the herb and flower gardens and they seemed to deter rabbits and other critters from chomping on the plants. Even back in New Jersey, the marigolds I planted were the one plant that never got chewed. Day lillies, hosta, tulips...all lollipops to rabbits and deer. But not the marigolds. I'm hoping the plants will be large enough to transplant into the ground when we get back from our trip to Oregon. Some time around May 25th or so.

It write about the idiocies of Washington, D.C. (Black Caucus loves Cuba, the White House science adviser loves atmospheric dust to combat glo-bull warming, the treasury secretary thinks he can run everyone's business despite not paying his own taxes, etc.) and elsewhere but have spent so much time commenting on others' blogs that I've run dry.

I'd write about the Mets but despite jumping out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the first, Mike Pelfrey gave it all back with interest in the bottom of the first. (4-2, Cincinnati). Antacids are the drink of the night. Pelfrey did redeem himself giving up no more runs in the next four innings and left with a 5-4 lead after five innings. It's in the hands of the bullpen now. Pelfrey may still get the win.

1 comment:

GUYK said...

I didn't know that about the Marigolds...I think I'll plant some!