Thursday, April 09, 2009

Signs of Spring

Last fall, just days before the first snow and freeze up, Terry and I spent an afternoon burying a bunch of bulbs and corms in the wooded area on the hillside and in the garden. Now that the snow has finally disappeared and the frost is leaving the soil, some of those bulbs and corms are starting to poke their green little snouts above ground and produce flowers. (Some of the pictures aren't quite the best. I had the telephoto lens on the camera and couldn't get far enough away to be sure of a focused picture.)

Crocuses

Hyacinths

Irises


In the flower/perennial/herb beds:

Daffodil nods to the strawberry.

Tulips are just breaking ground.

The tulips are on the northeast side of the house nestled between the ell of the garage and the living area and seldom get any sun until very late in the day. This is also where the snow shoveled from the driveway or drifted off the roof ends up. That might go a long way to explaining the slow appearance of these plants.

1 comment:

RT said...

I cannot wait until this fall! I am moving into my first home and I will have ample space for flowers. I love tulips and I plan on planting a bunch of bulbs (not just tulips) to welcome in next spring! YAY!

You're flowers are pretty.