Thursday, December 31, 2009

Aerie Report, December 31, 2009

The cats woke us at 7 AM this morning to a dark and snowy world. The forecast had said we would get snow late in the night. What they didn't say was that it would, in fact, be early this morning. It snowed hard for five hours or so resulting in an accumulation of between 3 and 4 inches of light powder. Not nearly enough for me to use the snow thrower, so I spent two-plus hours shoveling the driveway. Terry got the deck and then spent half an hour helping me with the drive.

Our temperatures are pretty comfortable. We started with 20 degrees at 7 AM and it's warmed up to 28 with a tiny bit of hazy sunshine. Tomorrow's forecast calls for a high of 30 degrees but then we'll drop back to around 20 for Saturday and Sunday and then the mid-20s the rest of the week. Snow showers (30-40% chance) are forecast by weather.com for each of the next ten days. We shall see.

******

Lunch was a warming bowl of curried acorn squash that was more gruel than soup. It may have looked like baby food but it sure packed a kick! Terry saw the recipe in one of her magazines and thought to give it a try. That recipe is a keeper.

******

Terry and I have no intention of going anywhere for New Year's Eve.

I'll probably watch the bowl games. There are five of them today. (I'm shocked to see Air Force doing so well against Houston. AF leads 34-20 as the third quarter winds down.)

Terry will probably watch the ball drop and we'll toast the entrance of 2010 with a glass of sparkling cider.

What ever your plans are for the evening, I hope you have a good time and stay safe.

2 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Happy New Year, folks. I hope 2010 is a better one, for all of us.

gregor said...

Happy New Year. Enjoy your quiet evening together. I don't think anyone is in much of the celebratory mood these days, it's going to be a quiet gathering at the grim old pile this year. I'm saving a bottle of champagne for November, I hope we have something to celebrate then.
Be well.
Gregor