Thursday, December 10, 2009

Cold as a well digger's....

Y'all can finish the title to your personal preference depending 'pon how deep the water in the well is.

The high today at the Aerie was 31 degrees. Granted that was just minutes after midnight and it has been falling ever since then. Okay, it did go up a degree during the one hour the sun managed to peek through the clouds this afternoon. It went from 21 up to 22 degrees at that time. At sundown (4:30 PM), however, it slipped slightly below 20 degrees and at 6 PM it was down to just 17.1 degrees. And now, at 8:30 PM it's dropped to 13 degrees. Mmmm, 13, unlucky.

Add the strong winds out of the northwest (the reason for the freakin' cold air being here in the first place) that are keeping the chimes hammering out a lively tune, and the windchill is probably approaching 0 degrees. We got "decorative" snow showers throughout the day, too, as the moisture of the Great Lakes got swept south and east by the howling winds.

Now, I know some of you in Alaska, Frostbite Falls, or the Yukon Territory might be thinking that it's spring like at 17 degrees (or even 0 degrees). Well, good for you. I'm a bit ursine in nature and want to hibernate about now. Wake me up when the Ides of March arrive.

It's going to get colder over the next few days if the weather quacks are correct. The wind will die back--a bit--but the lows will sink down to close to 10 degrees tonight and 15 degrees Friday night before they get back to the 20s. Only a 30% chance of snow showers in the 10-day forecast so that's a blessing unless you're a skier. (Although the 30% chance occurs on 7 of the 10 days, so, do ya feel lucky, punk?)

******

I frittered away the day doing nothing but keeping warm and a little reading. I didn't see any new madness on the internet that I wanted to comment/rant about today despite visiting many a blog/news site, so I've not posted a thing except the story about coywolves in New England.

Maybe tomorrow there will be some new apocalyptic happening or political buffoonery that warrants comment.

Maybe tomorrow I'll reenter the workshop and get the next wooden quilted square put together.

Maybe tomorrow my pulse rate will soar up to, oh, 55 beats per minute and I'll have energy to spare.

Tomorrow...
I'll hitch up the dogs to-morrow,
And mush down the trail to Bill.
It's so long dark, and I'm lonesome -
I'll just lay down on the bed;
To-morrow I'll go. . .to-morrow. .



Ha! Good thing I've only got three cats in the house.

1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

True confession time: we Alaskans are not immune to wind chill. Yes, we have acclimated to very cold temps, and I frequently walk around with my coat unbuttoned when it's -20 outside. But the wind is not our friend.