Sunday, December 20, 2009

Pine cones

I like pine cones. The symmetry they display is remarkable when you look closely at them. And the little winged seeds tucked under each scale serve as food to red (pine) squirrels and lots of birds. yesterday, on one of my stops for the Christmas Bird Count, I came upon a stand of pines that still held many of their cones. They must have still had seeds inside too, because the Chickadees and Red-breasted Nuthatches were all over those trees.

The birds didn't stay still long enough for me to get the camera to focus but the pine cones did.

Pine Cone at Ive's Run.

2 comments:

threecollie said...

Great pic! I love pine cones too

Rev. Paul said...

The cones are greatly admired, while still on the tree. When hitting one with the lawn mower, not so much.